Sunday 13 November 2011

Manual Transmission-ly Illiterate

On any given Tuesday or any given day for that matter, I drive automatic. Heck, I  have tried my trip-tronic - brand new engine that is warrantied why the hell not right? So, it is a long story to tell how I ended up with a manual car to drive home but I did. Anyways, me not thinking, "wait: I have no one to drive back with in a car I do not know how to drive!" I said fine, just do it. Scared shitless I asked a friend to help me at night. So much yelling and I still could not take off from 1st gear let alone change gears. No joke, I'm that bad. STALL! Again! I think I may have scared a few pedestrians and their canine friends around my home but late at night they didn't recognize the driver, so thank god.



After 45 mins of braking, stalling, stalling, actually taking off, braking, stalling and so on I took a dinner break and got out there again. This time much better - I could take off from 1st - ACHIEVEMENT! I shifted to 2nd but most of the time forgot. I can still hearing the yelling "you need to hear it, when it's ready you need to change gears"...."2nd!!! 2nd already !!!".... "Smoother take off !!" ...."Gassssssssss, press the gas!!". I felt like a child, and a terrible learner. 


I ended up having an eventful night, terrible dreams and I drove to work alone in traffic...and on main roads!! (like Yonge Street). I have to say hats off to me for doing it and I still have much to learn but for all you trying to learn to drive automatic or manual hang in there! If I can do it so can you and in the words of Brian Tracy "Anything worth doing well is worth doing poorly at first, and it is often worth doing poorly several times until you master it.".


P.S. If there is anyone who wants to help me get to the ranks of Nascar driver or ...just regular manual driver let me know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment